WordPress Facebook LinkedIn Twitter Instagram YouTube @cal Pinterest

Room and Board Financial Aid Program

Applications for room and board financial aid are available to graduate or upper division registered international students, U.S. citizens and Permanent Residents who have demonstrated financial need and have a room reservation to reside at International House for the coordinated term.
The purpose of the financial aid program is to offer UC Berkeley students who demonstrate financial need an opportunity to experience first-hand, cultures from all over the world while enabling international students to learn about the ethnic and economic diversity in the United States. 

To be considered for financial assistance, an applicant must meet the eligibility criteria found on the main Financial Aid page.

NOTE: The application will be open from October 17, 2018 until 4:30 PM on November 26, 2018.

Please read the following carefully.

It is the longstanding policy of I-House that any student with an unpaid balance to International House for room and board is not eligible to receive room and board financial aid.

Financial Aid Awards consist of partial payment of room and board fees at International House usually calculated by a reduced payment plan. Because Premium & Large Double Rooms are considerably more expensive than regular rooms, it is the established policy of I-House that students who receive International House room and board financial aid or a Gateway Fellowship are not eligible to live in Premium Single, Large Double or Premium Double room.  If you are assigned to a Premium Room and are offered a financial aid award, you will be expected to initiate a move to a Regular Room for the period covered by your award.


After your award is offered, you must accept your award by responding to the award e-mail and returning the I-House Scholarship Recipient Data Form.  


The I-House Financial Aid Application is a Multi-Step process:


STEP ONE: Submit the Financial Aid Registration Form.
STEP TWO: Download the Financial Aid Student Budget Form (pdf); save to your computer, fill-in, re-name and email to the appropriate email address as attachment, and a Word doc of your personal statement and summary statement.
STEP THREE: Email your unofficial transcript as attachment.
STEP FOUR:  If you are a US Citizen or Permanent Resident, send your FAFSA report as an email attachment. The FAFSA process takes three days to complete. Please apply for FAFSA early, as it must be emailed with your completed application by the deadline.

If you are an international student, email all documents to: ihousefinancialaid@berkeley.edu)
If you are an US citizen or permanent resident, email all documents to: ​usfinaid@berkeley.edu.


Applications are pre-screened to select UC Berkeley students who closely fit the guidelines.  International House reserved the right to seek comparable financial information from campus departments, the Berkeley International Office or other appropriate sources.  
The International House Board of Directors’ Financial Aid Committee makes final award selection. Applicants will be informed, by e-mail, regarding the status of their application prior to the “no penalty cancellation deadline for Housing.” For Spring 2019 applicants, the “no penalty cancellation deadline” is December 1, 2018. Other communications may not be sent prior to that date.

Note: Financial Aid Applicants must have a room contract with I-House by mid-December for the coming Spring Semester to be considered for funding. For more information, or if you are unsure you have a reservation, go to Housing Application Process at: http://ihouse.berkeley.edu/applicants/ 
We cannot make the final Financial Aid award without a room contract in place.

If you receive an award, you will be required to submit your Social Security Number (SSN) or an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN). If you do not yet have either number, you will be required apply as soon as you arrive in the US.(International Students: download the W-7 ITIN application from the IRS website) You may submit your ITIN application through the Berkeley International Office.  If you don't yet have a number, you are still welcome to apply for financial aid. Depending on your passport country’s tax treaty for room and board scholarships, taxes may need to be withheld from your award (30% without an ITIN or Social Security Number; 14% after your number is sent to I-House.)

Please check with the Berkeley International Office or go to http://www.socialsecurity.gov/ssnumber/ for more information on how to obtain a social security number or an ITIN number. ​Social security numbers are given ONLY if you have a written job offer.​ 

International Students: Bonnie Johnston, ihousefinancialaid@berkeley.edu; 510-642-2196
U.S. Students / Permanent Residents: Roxanne Heglar, usfinaid@berkeley.edu or call 510-642-8676