Intercultural Leadership Initiative
For more information about our services, please visit http://cil.berkeley.edu/ and be sure to sign up for our newsletter.
The mission of International House (I-House) is to foster intercultural respect, understanding, lifelong friendships, and leadership skills to promote a more tolerant and peaceful world.
In the spirit of this mission, you are invited to apply to the Intercultural Leadership Initiative, a certification program of the Center for Intercultural Leadership (CIL) exclusively for I-House residents. This semester-long, intensive leadership cohort program is designed to help you develop your skills in intercultural effectiveness and transformative leadership in today’s increasingly globalized world. Participants will not only gain professional development, but also cultivate close relationships with fellow cohort members.
If admitted to the program, participants will gain training and/or hands on, resume-building experience in the following areas:
- Intercultural and global leadership mindsets and skills
- Models, tools, and personal assessments in intercultural effectiveness
and leadership styles
- Intercultural facilitation, communication, and storytelling
- Transformational leadership and Social Justice
- Personal and professional coaching and development
- Public speaking and presentation skills
Upon completion of the program, students will earn a Certificate in Intercultural Leadership from CIL and I-House.
- Open to all residents and student staff of I-House
- Open to undergraduate, graduate, and post doc/research fellows/visiting scholars
- New and short-term students may apply, but preference may be given to those returning to I-House
- Attendance and active participation for 12 training sessions, including a possible overnight and day-long field trip
- Sessions will be held on Monday evenings, from 5:30pm until 7:30pm in Home Room at I-House starting on 8/29 (orientation) and ending with the last session on 12/5 (graduation ceremony)
- Willingness to rotate leadership and training opportunities during sessions
- Active participation in weekly discussions
- Fulfillment of an intercultural leadership project, due November 28th.
- In total, a minimum of 30 hours of meeting hours are required. In addition, about 1-2 hours per week of preparation time are expected. An intercultural leadership project will also be developed and implemented by participants prior to certification.
- In order to receive the certificate, students may miss no more than ONE weekly session during the fall semester and must contribute weekly to discussions. Students must attend any off campus activities and field trips in full to earn the leadership certificate.
Meeting sessions (Save the Dates):
- Orientation and information session on August 29, 2016 from 5:30pm-7:30pm (please reserve this time).
- Regular meetings: Mondays from 5:30pm until 7:30pm in Home Room starting on September 12, 2016.
- Celebration and commencement on December 5th, 5:30pm until 8:00 pm (place TBA)
Limited spots are available. To apply, please complete the online application form.
Send complete applications to email@example.com with “ILI Application_(your name)” in the subject heading.
Applications are due on Monday, September 5th by 5pm.
Participants will be informed of their status in the program by September 9th, 2016.
Questions? Contact Lauren Moloney-Egnatios, ILI Facilitator at firstname.lastname@example.org