WordPress Facebook LinkedIn Twitter Instagram Google + YouTube @cal Pinterest

Financial Aid

I-House impacts the world by producing global citizens equipped with stellar leadership skills and intercultural expertise. Fulfilling this mission begins by assisting students from diverse national and socioeconomic backgrounds the ability to access the “I-House Experience.” 

The purpose of the I-House Financial Aid program is to offer UC Berkeley students who demonstrate financial need, an opportunity to experience first-hand, cultures from all over the world while enabling international students to learn about the ethnic and economic diversity in the United States.  Due to the donations of many generous donors to International House, scholarships are provided to help offset deserving resident’s room and board fees at International House. 

The 2017 Spring Semester Financial Aid Application window for reduced Room & Board fees is open from October 26-November 10, 2016.

You must have a reserved room contract with the I-House Admissions Office to be eligible.  Visit: http://ihouse.berkeley.edu/applicants/rates.php


  • Full-time upper division (undergraduate junior or senior), or graduate students who are accepted and registered into a degree-seeking program at UC Berkeley;
  • Demonstrated financial need;
  • GPA of 3.0 or higher;
  • confirmed room reservation at I-House for Spring Semester 2017 in a Regular Double (for undergraduates), Low Price Single or Regular Single (for graduate students.)
  • Completion of all steps of the Financial Aid application including supporting documents.

Note: Exchange students, UC Berkeley Extension, or Summer Session students are not eligible.

The room reservation cancellation deadline without penalty, will be aligned with prior notice of room and board financial aid awards to assist financial aid applicants.

Read the Frequently Asked Questions for more information.

The I-House Financial Aid Application is composed of two forms plus documents to email:

  • Step One: Registration Form
  • Step Two: Student Budget Form (PDF)

Following submission of the above, send in one Word Document, your essay of 500 words or less, and a summary of your essay 190 words or less to complete your application. Unofficial transcript is also required to be submitted. US citizens are required to turn in their FAFSA form.

To apply, go to the Financial Aid Instructions page:



The Gateway Fellowship Program

In collaboration with the UC Berkeley Graduate Division, International House offers one-year awards (Gateway Fellowships) for first-year or continuing students in any Doctoral Program, or a Master’s Degree in Public Health Program. Priority preference is given to new incoming graduate students. Only those with financial need are eligible. Recipients receive one academic year of single-occupancy room and board at International House, fees and tuition paid by the student’s department, and a $5,000 stipend from the University of California Graduate Division. To be considered for this award, applicants must be admitted to UC Berkeley for the following academic year, and be nominated by their academic department.


Although the first round of fellowship offers for 2016-17 are being sent, there still is a desire to find qualified Ph.D. students for the Gateway Fellowships that are more difficult to match with each priority preference: Nominations are now being accepted for Ph.D. students from Sub-Saharan Africa, Norway, students in Physics or Astrophysics and graduate students who are Returned Peace Corps Volunteers. 
UC Berkeley Graduate Student Advisors and Deans: Use this Gateway Nomination Form to nominate your candidates. The preferred deadline is April 14, 2016. Please email ihousefinancialaid@berkeley.edu to let us know that you have submitted your nomination. Thank you.

International House Gateway Fellowships Nomination Form for 2016-17

For more information, email: ihousefinancialaid@berkeley.edu, visit the FAQs page or view the Gateway Fellowships Eligibility page. 


Announcing The 2016-2017 Gateway Fellows

Brief Biographies (pdf)


Chevron-Xenel PhD Gateway Fellowship

Kaitlyn Lieschke


Ph.D Student in Chemistry

Eltoukhy Gateway Fellowship

Zunaid Omair


Ph.D Student in EECS

EWJ Gateway Fellowship 1

Rosanna Neuhausler


Ph.D Student in Geography

EWJ Gateway Fellowship 2

Luke Patterson


Graduate Student in Folklore

Carl and Betty Helmholz Gateway Fellowship

Kara Kundert


Ph.D. Student in Astronomy

Joe Lurie Returning Peace Corps Volunteer Gateway Fellowship

Austin Land


Ph.D. Student in Public Policy

Daniel Mouen-Makoua Gateway Fellowship

Prosper Dzanwa


Ph.D. Student in Chemistry

Norway House Foundation Gateway Fellowship

Jonas Tungodden


Ph.D Student in Economics

Open Gateway Fellowship

Dennis Egger


Ph.D. Student in Economics

Rafael Rodriguez Golden Age Fellowship*

Mustafa Yildiz


Ph.D. Student in History

Allan and Kathleen Rosevear Gateway Fellowship

Man-Yat Chu (Jack)


Ph.D. Student in Physics

Adrian Hao Yin Ü Gateway Fellowship

Zihan Liu


Ph.D. Student in EECS

Joan and Egon von Kaschnitz Gateway Fellowship

Claire Harmange


Ph.D. Student in Chemistry

*The Rafael Rodriguez Golden Age Fellowship was the model for the current Gateway Fellowships.

Previous Gateway Fellows


The Rafael Rodriguez/Golden Age Fellowship is a similar fellowship for one PhD student each year. Nominations are submitted by the student’s department to the Graduate Division. For information, visit: ​http://grad.berkeley.edu/admissions/apply/, and check the departmental deadline on http://grad.berkeley.edu/programs/list/.