Scholarships Frequently Asked Questions

To help meet the cost of room and board at International House, financial aid is available to graduate and upper division international students (F1 or J1), U.S. citizens, and permanent residents. Awards are for partial payment of room and board fees. See our Grants & Scholarships for details. Applicants must have a reservation to live at International House for the academic year or the coming semester and must demonstrate financial need. (See Eligibility)

The application must be completed and submitted online. Please read our Application Instructions prior to beginning the online application. 

General Financial Aid FAQs:

Who is eligible to apply for International House Room and Board Financial Aid?

Upper division and higher students registered in a degree-granting program at UC Berkeley who hold a reservation for residency at International House for the coming academic year or semester and hold a 3.0 GPA or higher. (Financial aid is not awarded to foreign exchange students, summer session students, extension students, or those not enrolled in UC Berkeley degree-granting programs.) Financial aid is awarded to residents who have a Regular Double room occupancy reservation (undergraduates) or Regular Single room occupancy reservation (graduates only) (not Premium or Large rooms).

Where can I receive a Financial Aid application?

The Financial Aid application is available only as an online form linked from the instructions webpage.

Do I need to file a FAFSA report?

Only U.S. citizens and permanent residents are required to file a FAFSA, and email the report. Please allow at least three days for FAFSA processing.

What information will I need before I begin my Financial Aid application?

You will need to gather financial data and resources on all family and personal sponsors, an expected budget for the period you will reside at I-House (academic year or semester), any expected grants or scholarships, and an unofficial transcript (to be emailed). If you are a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, you will need to include the FAFSA Student Aid Report.

When do we hear of the award results?

Award results are usually announced four to six weeks after the application deadline, giving the students approximately one week to accept the offer.

Gateway Fellowships FAQs:

How do I apply for a Gateway Fellowship?

Students do not apply for Gateway Fellowships. Admitted graduate students are nominated by UC Berkeley academic units for consideration each February. 

How many recipients are selected for each Gateway Fellowship award?

Generally, only one graduate student is awarded a particular Gateway Fellowship, for one time only.

How do I learn of the various Gateway Fellowship eligibility and preferences?

Please refer to the Gateway Fellowships Program.