Application Process FAQ

Summer frequently asked questions can be found here.

Application Process Frequently Asked Questions

Is I-House just for international students?  Can American students apply?

I-House is not just for international students! Each year, approximately 75 percent of our residents are international students. The remaining 25 percent are residents from the U.S. who are interested in living in a community where international exchange and cultural sharing is part of the daily experience. This diversity of perspectives and experiences is an essential component of what makes I-House unique.

Who is eligible to live at I-House?

The following are eligible to live at International House during the Academic Year:

  • Registered UC Berkeley students as well as those who are affiliated with the Wright Institute, the Mathematical Sciences Research Institute, LBNL, and the Graduate Theological Union. 

  • Undergraduates who have attained a junior or senior class standing or will have completed at least 60 UC units prior to arrival at I-House.

  • Registered graduate and postdoctoral students, visiting scholars and researchers, and Education Abroad Reciprocity students.

  • International students who are attending UC Berkeley through University Extension.

  • All occupants must be at least 18 years old.

Residents may reside at International House for a maximum of eight full Academic Year semesters. Summer Session residency is not counted toward this semester total, however, eligibility will end at the completion of the eighth Academic Year semester. Due to the high demand for housing at International House, this policy is in place to ensure we are able to provide as many students as possible with the opportunity to live at I-House and benefit from our unique offerings.

When should I apply?

All application updates will be posted here 

For group bookings, contact the Admissions Office at

What documents will be required when I apply?

1. Academic Affiliation: Official documentation showing your affiliation with UC Berkeley or another approved institution. 
Examples include a letter of invitation from your host department or program including the semester(s) you will be attending.

2. Undergraduates Only: Please upload your transcripts showing you will have completed 60+ units prior to your arrival, a screenshot of your CalCentral account showing your name and academic level, or other documentation showing you will be a Junior or Senior.

3. Age Verification: Documentation showing you are or will be at least 18 years of age by the time you arrive at I-House.
Examples of appropriate documents include: Driver's license, government issued ID, or passport

4. Short Answer Questions. You will be required to answer four questions with short answers of 2-3 sentences each. These questions will be available within your application.

What is the waitlist process?

I-House does not have a waitlist. Rather, we conduct a rolling application process which means we will continue accepting applications and all eligible applicants are placed in a pool. As rooms become available, we will select applicants from this pool to fill these openings.

How do you determine who will be offered housing at International House?

There are many factors considered in the selection process well beyond date of submission, country of citizenship, etc. The I-House application and selection process is highly competitive. Our goal at I-House is to promote diversity and inclusion and all offers sent are based on the needs of the house.

New and existing successfully “acknowledged” applicants who have not yet been chosen, will remain in that status and may be reconsidered until all available spaces have been filled. Based on the aforementioned criteria, those whose Citizenship and/or Major Area of Study are less represented in our resident population will be given priority for all remaining spaces.  

How long does it usually take to hear from Admissions?

The Admissions team will reach out to you only if your application is not completed properly, if we need more information from you in order to process your application, if you do not qualify to live at I-House or if you are receiving an offer. Because we have a rolling admissions process and there is no specific date we stop making offers, we do not send out notices that you are not receiving an offer unless you do not qualify.

Can I apply for Fall-Only room and board?

I-House offers a very limited number of Fall-only contracts. To qualify, you must provide documentation that you will be attending UC Berkeley or are only eligible to live at I-House for the Fall semester.

If you apply for an Academic Year contract and later learn you will not be in Berkeley for the Spring, please reach out to right away. If you already have a reservation, we will do our best to accommodate the change to Fall-only however due to the limited space available, your booking may have to be cancelled. *Cancellation fees may apply.

My stay in Berkeley does not match your semester dates. Do you accommodate shorter or longer stays?

We realize that not all academic visits match our Academic Calendar, however we are not able to adjust contract dates. If you have extenuating circumstances, please contact the Admissions Office at

*Please note: Extenuating circumstances would not include your program dates not matching our contract dates.

Can you accommodate residents with disabilities?

I-House strives to be accessible and welcoming to all residents. Upon request, International House provides reasonable accommodations to those with disabilities. Requests for disability accommodations should be directed to Resident Support Services at

Such requests must be in writing and supported by medical documentation demonstrating the necessity for the requested accommodation. Each request is evaluated on a case-by-case basis. Please submit requests for accommodation as far in advance as possible, as review/implementation can take several weeks.

Do you accept paper applications?

No, we are only able to accept applications submitted online through our website.

How does the online application work? What do I need to apply?

  1. Uploading all required documents 

  2. Paying the $50.00 non-refundable application fee

  3. Submitting your application

Please be sure to submit the correct required documents in their entirety. Failure to do so could result in a delay in your application processing or denial of your application.

Once you have submitted your application you will receive an automated response. If you have not received an email response, please return to your application and review the steps. 

Please see “How do you determine who will be offered housing” to learn about the next steps. 

**Please note that the process for Summer Session applications is slightly different. Additional details can be found on the Summer Housing page.

Do you require any payment up-front when booking a reservation?

For the Academic Year, a $1,500 pre-payment is due at the time you complete Phase 2 to accept your offer. This pre-payment is applied to your final housing installment prior to moving out, assuming there are no outstanding balances on your account at that time.

For the Summer, payment is due in full at the time you accept your offer.

How can I pay the application fee?

Toward the end of your application, prior to submission, you will be required to pay the $50 non-refundable application fee by Visa or Mastercard.

I have a question about my student visa / H-1 status; can I-House Admissions help with that?

The best resource for any questions regarding visas, H-1s, and work eligibility for international students is the Berkeley International Office (BIO). You can learn more about their services on their website: You can also contact them directly by email at or by phone at (510) 642-2818.

Who do I contact if I am having technical problems or have other questions regarding my application?

You may contact Admissions via email at or by phone at (510) 642-9470.

How is I-House handling COVID-19 safety measures?

I-House is committed to ensuring a safe and healthy experience for its residents, staff, and all associated with the House. 

Just living here gives you a much more balanced view of other countries. Everything from lunch to laundry, is a cultural event.
A former I-House resident