Ways to Give

Ways to Give: Stock

Ways to Give

There are many ways that you can support International House. From online giving to estate planning—we make it easy to give your way!

Make a Recurring Gift

Become an International House sustainer and help us promote a more peaceful world all year long. Your monthly gifts will help form a predictable source of income we can count on to fund life-changing scholarships, crucial modernizations to our House, and innovative cross-cultural programs.

Your online donation is secure and flexible. You choose the amount you wish to give each month and you can change or cancel your pledge at any time.

To set up your monthly donation, visit https://host.nxt.blackbaud.com/donor-form?svcid=renxt&formId=c378000c-8043-4eb4-930f-c33843ccbb30&envid=p-j7BzeLX6z0ycCfgBR34nXQ&zone=usa .

If you have a question about your recurring gift, please contact us at (510) 642-4128 or by email.

Mail Your Gift

If you prefer to send your gift by mail, simply complete our donation form and mail it to us at the International House Development Office at 2299 Piedmont Avenue in Berkeley, CA 94720.

You can also call us at (510) 642-4128 to make your gift over the telephone.

We are grateful for your support!

Give from your IRA

Making a gift to I-House as a qualified charitable distribution (QCD) from your individual retirement account (IRA) can be a great way to maximize your giving potential while also saving on taxes. QCD, also known as a "charitable rollover,"is a distribution from an IRA directly to a qualified charity. The QCD amount can be counted towards your annual Required Minimum Distribution (RMD) and is not included in your federal taxable income. 

To qualify:

  • You must be 70½ or older at the time you make your gift;

  • The transfer must go directly from your IRA to International House to avoid income tax obligations. The International House federal tax ID number is 94-1167403; 

  • Your total charitable giving from your IRA cannot exceed $100,000 annually. For a married couple, if both spouses are age 70½ or over and both have IRAs, each spouse can exclude up to $100,000 for a total of up to $200,000 per year. 

Please notify Margie Ryan, Assistant Director of Philanthropy at (510) 643-6916 or via email with your name, the name of your IRA administrator, and the amount of your distribution so that we can identify and acknowledge your gift.

*It is important to note that there are certain rules and limitations on QCDs, so please be sure to consult a tax professional before making any decisions regarding QCDs.

Make a Gift of Stock

Making a gift of appreciated securities can reduce your tax liability while increasing your philanthropic impact. Consult your tax advisor and broker regarding the tax deductibility and timing of your gift:

Please provide your stockbroker with the following information to ensure that your gift of stock is delivered to our account:

Vanguard Brokerage Services
DTC #: 0062
For credit to: International House – The Fund for I-House
Account #: 62148740
Taxpayer Identification # 94-1167403

So that we can identify and acknowledge your gift, prior to donating shares please contact us at (510) 642-4128 or by email with the following information:

  • Name of donor, mailing address, and telephone number;
  • Name of stock or mutual fund, ticker symbol, and number of shares to be donated;
  • Anticipated date of transfer.

Give via Your Donor Advised Fund

A Donor Advised Fund (DAF) is a tax-advantaged charitable giving vehicle that allows donors to make a charitable contribution to a public charity and recommend grants to qualified nonprofit organizations like I-House. It's a convenient and efficient way to support our mission of promoting cross-cultural understanding and lifelong connections. If you have a DAF through your financial institution, you can easily recommend a grant to I-House and help us provide transformative intercultural experiences to students and scholars from around the world.

Checks may be made payable to International House at UC Berkeley and mailed to:
International House Development Office
2299 Piedmont Avenue
Berkeley, CA 94720-2320

The I-House Federal Tax ID is 94-1167403.

Please be sure to ask that your DAF sponsoring organization provide your name and address so that we can acknowledge your generosity!

Another great way to support I-House is by listing us as a beneficiary of your DAF. This is a wonderful way to make a lasting impact that will support our mission for years to come.

Give through the UC Berkeley Foundation 

All gifts, including legacy gifts, can be made directly to International House or routed to I-House via the University of California Berkeley Foundation (UCBF). Visit here to make your gift through UCBF or to learn more or contact us at (510) 642-4128 or philanthropy@ihouseberkeley.org.

Ask Your Employer to Match Your Gift

Often companies will match employees’ charitable contributions, and some even match gifts from retirees, helping to make a greater impact on the causes you care about. By taking advantage of the matching gift program at your workplace, you can double—or even triple—your contribution to International HouseIt’sa great way to amplify your giving.

You may need the following information to process your company’s matching gift:

Organization: International HouseTax Identification Number: 94-1167403 
Address: 2299 Piedmont Avenue, Berkeley, CA  94720 
Phone: (510) 642-4128 
E-mail Address: philanthropy@ihouseberkeley.org 
Web Site: ihouse.berkeley.edu 

Plan Your Legacy Gift

You can support the development of a new generation of global leaders to help create a world of greater understanding and peace, through your will, living trust, or retirement plan. Learn more about legacy gifts here

Make an International Gift

I-House is grateful to supporters worldwide and offers the links below to provide information on potential tax advantages for contributing donors. Following is guidance for making your gift internationally.  


All gifts are tax-deductible as prescribed by law. University of California, Berkeley is recognized as a tax-exempt organization by Revenue Canada (Tax ID 154146). 

Hong Kong

Hong Kong taxpayers may make donations in Hong Kong dollars or U.S. dollars via the University of California Foundation Limited in Hong Kong. Contributions will be tax-deductible as provided for under Section 88 of the Hong Kong Inland Revenue Ordinance. TheUniversity of California Foundation Limited will collect your contributions and forward them to UC Berkeley. 

United Kingdom

  • British and U.S. taxpayers may make donations in pounds sterling to UC Berkeley via theUniversity of California Trust (UK)in London - registered British Charity No. 1075405. Additionally, the University of California Trust (UK) can collectGift Aidon your behalf and forward it to UC Berkeley. 

  • Donors who have tax liabilities in the UK and the US can give to UC Berkeley via the CAF American Donor Fundfor dual US/UK taxpayers. Trading as Southampton Row Trust Ltd., the CAF American Donor Fund allows US citizens living in the United Kingdom to receive tax benefits in both countries for their international contributions.

Other European Countries

If you are a European taxpayer, you may give to UC Berkeley via Transnational Giving Europe (TGE), which currently covers 13 countries. Donors may make a gift to the national TGE partner which will transfer the gift to Charities Aid Foundation (CAF) in London and provide all the national fiscal advantages to the donor. CAF will then forward your gift to UC Berkeley with the assistance of the University of California Trust (UK).

For more information on international giving, please contact us at +1( 510) 642-4128 or philanthropy@ihouseberkeley.org

I-House logo Tenth Decade

Giving Resources

For questions, email us at philanthropy@ihouseberkeley.org