Financial Aid for Room and Board Support

I-House impacts the world by producing global citizens equipped with stellar leadership skills and intercultural expertise. Fulfilling this mission begins by assisting students from diverse national and socioeconomic backgrounds to access the I-House Experience.

The purpose of the I-House Financial Aid program is to offer UC Berkeley students who demonstrate financial need an opportunity to experience, firsthand, cultures from all over the world while enabling international students to learn about the ethnic and economic diversity in the United States as I-House residents.

Due to the donations of many generous alumni and friends to International House, partial room and board scholarships may be provided to help deserving students reside at International House.

The 2020-21 Academic Year Financial Aid for Room & Board Support Application is currently closed. This is due to the I-House Board of Directors announcement that the House would be closed to residents in order to avoid COVID-19 risk for at least the Fall 2020 Semester.

Make sure you apply for housing soon so you will be eligible to apply for room and board financial aid. A housing contract will need to be completed by August 15, 2020 in order to be eligible for financial aid.

Aid is not available for summer sessions, except for the special COVID-19 summer application for 2019-20 I-House residents.

NOTE: Financial Aid applicants who need to cancel their room contract after their scholarship notice, will receive an extension to cancel without penalty.

Financial Aid Eligibility:

• Full-time, upper division (undergraduate junior or senior), or graduate students who are accepted and registered into a degree-seeking program at UC Berkeley. (Exchange students, extension students, summer resident-students and visiting scholars are not eligible.)

• Demonstrated financial need 

• GPA of 3.0 or higher

• A confirmed room reservation by for the semester/academic year for which you are applying by August 15, 2020! (Double-Occupancy room for undergraduates, but used as single-occupancy), or Low-Price Single or Regular Single for graduate students).  Large or Premium Room contracts are NOT eligible for IH Financial Aid awardees.  UC Berkeley students with enough units to qualify as Sophomore level, are welcome to apply for housing and financial aid.

• Completion and submission of all steps of the Financial Aid application, including supporting documents are required. 

Note: Awards will be made in coordination with the Housing Admissions cancellation deadline. If you need to cancel your housing contract, cancel by the EXTENDED housing admissions/financial aid applicant stated deadline of July 31, 2020, so you will receive your prepayment/deposit back, unless you are in the "Second Round for Consideration".
If you are unable to arrive in the USA due to a problem getting your Visa, the room cancellation fee will be waived up to August 19, 2020 for Fall move-in.

For specific questions about housing, email

Read the Financial Aid Frequently Asked Questions for more information.

Go to the Financial Aid Instructions page for the On-line Application.


International Students: Bonnie Johnston, 
U.S. Students / Permanent Residents: Roxanne Pifer, 

I experienced here an intensity of discussion beyond anything I have known since, in 60 years of public life.
John Kenneth Galbraith