Scholarship Application Instructions

The Spring 2024 Partial Room and Board Scholarship applications was be open from

12 noon, Pacific Time, October 2, 2023 - 5pm, Pacific Time, November 20, 2023.

I-House Spring financial aid application is now closed.

Please visit this page for all Financial Aid updates.

Please read the eligibility requirements.

The I-House Financial Aid application is composed of two forms plus documents to email:

  • Step One: Fill in and submit the Financial Aid Application Registration Form

  • Step Two: Download the Student Budget Form to your computer and rename it with your last, first name, then fill in the required fields within the document.

  • Step Three: Send all of the following documents via one email to the scholarship team at

  • The completed budget form from Step Two;

  • Personal Statement of 500 words or less, along with a 150-word summary of key points for the committee in one text or Word document, saved by your last, first name;

  • Your unofficial transcript showing your GPA;

  • For U.S. or Permanent Residents, include your FAFSA Student Aid Report (SAR) form. Please allow three to five days to receive it.


For all Scholarship-related questions, email

Applications for room and board scholarships are available to graduate or upper-division UC Berkeley degree-registered international students, U.S. citizens, and permanent residents who have demonstrated financial need and have a room reservation to reside at International House for the coordinated term.

To be considered for financial assistance, an applicant must meet the eligibility criteria found on the main Scholarships page.

It is the long-standing policy of I-House that any student with an unpaid balance to International House for room and board is not eligible to receive room and board financial aid.

Financial Aid awards consist of partial payment of room and board fees at International House, usually calculated by a reduced-payment plan. It is the established policy of I-House that students who are staying in large, premium or bay-view rooms are not eligible to receive International House room and board scholarships or Gateway Fellowships. If you prefer to change to a budget or regular room in order to qualify, we will do our best to accommodate based on availability. 

After your award is offered, you must accept your award by responding to the award email within the stated deadline. Award recipients will be required to turn in an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) or Social Security Number (SSN) within one week of I-House move-in.* See Tax Number requirements below.  

Applications are pre-screened to select UC Berkeley students who closely fit the guidelines.  International House reserves the right to seek comparable financial information from campus departments, the Berkeley International Office, or other appropriate sources. 

The International House Board of Directors’ Financial Aid Committee makes final award selections. Applicants will be informed by email of the status of their application. We cannot make the final Scholarship award without a room contract in place.

*Tax Number requirements:

If you receive an award, you will be required to submit your Social Security number (SSN) or an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) to International House. If you do not have either number, you will be required to apply as soon as you arrive in the U.S. (International Students: download the W-7 ITIN application from the IRS website.)  You may submit your ITIN application through the Berkeley International Office, along with other documents that they require.  If you don't yet have a tax number, you are still welcome to apply for financial aid. Depending on your passport country’s tax treaty for room and board scholarships, taxes may need to be withheld from your award (30 percent without an ITIN or Social Security number; 14 percent after your number is given to I-House). You will be required to submit your tax number to the I-House Cashier as soon as it arrives in the post. Awardees are required to submit the I-House Scholarship Recipient Data Form and a copy of the country-issued passport. 

​Social Security numbers are given ONLY if you have a written job offer.​ Other award recipients should apply for an ITIN.

Please check with the Berkeley International Office or go to