WordPress Facebook LinkedIn Twitter Instagram YouTube @cal Pinterest

Funding Opportunities Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):

To help meet the cost of room and board at International House, financial aid is available to graduate and upper-division international students (F1 or J1), U.S. citizens, and permanent residents. Awards are for full or partial payment of room and board fees. See our Financial Aid Grants & Scholarships (pdf) for details. For this round of funding, applicants must have a reservation to live at International House for the 2017-2018 academic year or the Fall 2017 semester and must demonstrate financial need.(See Eligibility)

Application must be completed and submitted online. Please read our Financial Aid Application Instructions prior to beginning online application. For technical questions, please email: ihousefinancialaid@berkeley.edu.

General Financial Aid FAQs:

Q: Who is eligible to apply for International House Room and Board Financial Aid?
A: Upper division and higher students registered in a degree-granting program at UC Berkeley who hold a reservation for residency at International House for the coming academic year or academic semester. (Financial aid is not awarded to foreign exchange students, summer-session students, extension students, or those not enrolled in UC Berkeley degree-granting programs.) Financial aid is awarded to residents who have Regular Double room occupancy reservation, (undergrads) or Regular Single room occupancy reservation (graduates) only (not premium or large rooms).

Q: Where can I receive a Financial Aid Application?

A: The Financial Aid Application is available only as an online form linked from the instructions webpage.

Q: Do I need to file a FAFSA report?
A: Only US citizens and permanent residents are required to file a FAFSA, and email the report. Please allow at least three days for FAFSA processing.

Q: What information will I need before I begin my financial aid application?
A: You will need to gather financial data and resources on all personal, family and sponsors, an expected budget for the period you will reside at I-House (Academic year or Fall semester), any expected grants or scholarships, an official transcript (to be emailed), and if you are a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, the FAFSA Student Aid Report (to be emailed), know your G.P.A and more.

Q: When do we hear of the award results?
A: Award results are usually announced 2-3 weeks after the application deadline, giving the students approximately one week to accept the offer.

Gateway Fellowships and other Graduate Division Scholarships FAQs

Q: How do I apply for a Gateway Fellowship?
A: Students do not apply for Gateway Fellowships. Admitted graduate students are nominated by UC Berkeley academic units for consideration each February.

Please refer to Gateway Fellowships Eligibility (pdf).

Q: How many recipients are selected for each Gateway Fellowship award?
A: Generally, only one graduate student is awarded a particular Gateway Fellowship for one time only.

Q: How do I learn of the various Gateway Fellowship eligibility and preferences?
A: Visit the Gateway Fellowships Eligibility (pdf) in the right column of the Financial Aid home page.